Tuesday, June 22, 2010

GET OUT AND VOTE FOR HALL OF FAME

Well, it's not like you even have to "get out". Just vote!!

Here's how I see it, for what it's worth.

In my view there are 5 candidates clearly worthy of induction and 3 more in the conversation:

CLEARLY WORTHY:

Phil Kimura: Basket full of awards and monster numbers for a guy who played a lot of SS. I can see the objection that he pooped out at an early age (33 was his last year), but his accomplishments are still deserving I think.

Alex Ramirez: Perhaps a tad short on awards, but 480 (in 10 seasons, at that) dingers for a middle infielder is pretty compelling.

Luis Seanez: toddcommish has made the case for him convincingly. The argument against him is that he didn't get enough wins and didn't win a Cy Young (which is essentially repeating that he didn't get enough wins). Wins are hugely affected by factors other than how a guy pitches. When you take a close look at his qualitative stats, he has without a doubt compiled the 3rd-best career of any SP in this world.

Dick West: .334 lifetime BA, 2 MVP's, and a bunch of other awards. Easy call.

Rob Romano: I keep asking myself if I can really vote for a guy who only played 6 and a half seasons. Then I look at those seasons...3 MVP's (1 of 3 players... and CostelloLeon are the others), only .400 season in league history, career leader in OPS, on and on. Best hitter in world history...he's gotta be in.

IN THE CONVERSATION
Rico Nunez: 3 GG's and 3 Silver Sluggers at SS, plus 417 career homers...pretty good.
Steven Vaughn: 3 Cy Young is pretty convincing.
Thomas Sparks: Just 1 CY, but in every qualitative measure he was better than Vaughn.
I wouldn't have an argument with any of these guys I don't think...will revisit next year if they don't get in this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment